Sunday 21 March 2010

Hope Valley Baskets

Happy Quilting Day everyone! I have been showing the day the respect it deserves by getting some sewing done. You may remember Hope Valley Baskets when I started piecing it back at the start of the year? It has been a bit on the back burner as I have been working hard for the last month on the new Make Do & Mend Baby Quilt Kits ready to be unveiled on 1st April.


Inspired by my week looking at the quilts at the V&A exhibition, I found myself wanting to go back to something quite traditional. I love how this quilt is working out. As soon as I saw the Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley prints I knew I wanted to make something in keeping with the period, and settled upon the baskets pattern from Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!. In the pattern the baskets are set on a white background, but somehow it looked too harsh. When I paired them with the grey it finally made colour sense to me. The quilt in the book has no border, but I loved the little jewel like scraps in the pile so I thought I would add just a sprinkling of colour by piecing an irregular border. The only problem is that I love this combo so much I'm not ready to let it go and am just starting to piece new blocks for the back! So much for getting something finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment