Monday 21 June 2010

Little Town Quilt Top - Construction Complete!


I have had such fun making this quilt. It's often the way that the projects that have had the least analysis ( and so are invested of the least expectation) are the most fun to work on. You may remember that I started this quilt top when I had an earache in the half term holidays. I started piecing houses just using my rotary cutter, a pile of solids and a needle and thread. As I have added to my little town each little house has become a character in it's own right. My kids like to 'work out' which house in our village its based on as we walk to school and the local shop! I have included our much loved but sadly outgrown old house, a tall thin Victorian villa, and our new house, an initially unloved but now transformed 1950's self confident sturdy kind of a place, I also included my sons dream house, a wigwam; and my daughters, a thatched cottage or a toadstool fairy ring;I'm totally in love with this quilt. But I now have to decide how to back and bind, but most importantly how to quilt it. I am completely at a loss as the original had the most exquisite teeny tiny detailed but machine quilted stitches in little shapes to match the houses as if as a shadow in the white areas. I am a dedicated hand quilter, but the density of stitching needed to recreate that kind of an effect would take me a year or more! I am considering branching out for the first time and paying someone to machine quilt it for me...what do you think?

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I love that there's little details your kids can relate to - its so simple and fresh but completely draws the eye in. No idea about the quilting I'm afraid, I'm sure it could look good with machine quilting but wouldn't know where to find someone who could do it. Sorry. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely fabulously beautiful. Get it done by a professional - I genuinely think that we probably each have in us one or two or more quilts that we love so much that it's worth it - if you can be bothered to send it abroad, Angela from FMBII is the most phenomenal quilter. Let me know if you want her details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely. It is a hard line to stay on the right side of a sentimental quilt design and you have done it so beautifully, nostalgic but modern. Have not used a professional quilter- I would just keep it very simple and have straight horizontal and vertical parallel lines framing the picture blocks- sort of like roads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute quilt, take a chance and have it quilted, the right quilter will figure out just the right design for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this quilt and plan to make one similar someday. I use a professional quilter all the time and love the results I have had. If you need some quilters I know several that are quite good. GREAT job!!

    ReplyDelete