Thursday 24 June 2010

In Praise of Hex's and Handsewing

I have been away from home and my sewing machine a lot over the last few weeks as I have been travelling backwards and forwards across the country visiting my Dad in hospital and my Mum alone at home without him. It's been a pretty upsetting and unsettling few weeks. In the past when people ask me where I find the time to make quilts, I laughingly tell them it keeps me sane. When life is a bit uphill, sewing really does do that for me, it's critical. On another long journey in the car I got to wondering why.

My project of choice has been hand sewing these gorgeous curved hexagon blocks ( they're missing the final bits that makes them hexagonal at the moment!), carrying the pieces pre cut with me, in my little sewing pouch, stitching, stitching whenever I get 5 mins, whenever it all feels a bit overwhelming, when the anxiety starts to creep in, when my mind starts to worry and whirl. The comfort of hand stitching, the rhythmic, unthinking repetition is so soothing. The small thrill in seeing a block come to life through your stitches, just a small happy moment in a lot of dark worry and stress. The joy of making something by hand is elemental. Before I made things I didn't feel a lack of it, now I make, I can't live without it.


There is also something so timeless about stitching, generations of women have found this same solace in quiet, unobtrusive stitching, slowly making objects full of love and thought and contemplation. My Dad is finally on the mend and normal life can start to take over again. Thank you Quilting for sustaning me.


p.s These stars will eventually be hexagonal. I made them using a cutting template from here, cut with a 28mm rotary blade and sewn by hand, it's a great traveling project if you're planning a holiday (more fun than a hospital visit!)

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your Dad is getting better. I know how rough it is spreading yourself out to be all thing to all you love ones. Yes, sewing is good therapy, and had helped me get through some tough times as well. Cute Blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs, so glad your dad is on the mend. Those curvy hexies look great, can't wait to see them finished!! I've decided to take some 'normal' hexies on my holidays this year so I can indulge in some hand sewing. {{Big hugs}} Justine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debs! This is so well said! Hand piecing is a state of mind. I am so glad your dad is recovering. Those hexagons are so wonderful! Hoping you will find a nice tree to sit under and stitch. Warm greetings, Una

    ReplyDelete
  4. Una - you are my hexagon inspiration! Those hex-stars and other amazing blocks on your blog made me go for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justine, Patty - thanks for your kind wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad things are settling down and that your Dad is getting better. You're absolutely right about handwork, it's intrinsically soothing. You said you didn't feel the lack of it, but I thought about that and I realized that I never really just ... sat. I used to do other things while waiting or watching t.v. - reading, crossword puzzles, small child care, all sorts of things. I bet you did too! Now our "sitting" time is spent on more satisfying things and I cannot imagine spending those "idle" hours without a needle in hand. Your curvy hexagons are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little stars-soon-to-be-hexagons! So true that hand stiching is therapy. I believe the journey is as pleasureable as the end product, so relish the making as well as the final quilt. Best wishes for your dad's continued recovery. K

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post completely and accurately described how I feel about sewing and quilting. I remember my life before I learned...but wonder how I kept sane...

    I can't wait to see that quilt take shape!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased to read that all is beginning to settle down again and that your dad is getting better. Your little stars/hexes are lovely. I've also just had a quick look at the AMH voile quilt that you refer to in your other recent post - its so pretty and I love the spots on the white. Juliex

    ReplyDelete