Saturday 5 December 2009

Ducks in a Row


It's finally ready! My Ducks in a Row Quilt Kit, the newest addition to my little Make Do & Mend Quilt Kit business is finally ready to waddle off to a new quilter to be handmade into a cherished heirloom, and hopefully to convert a new quilter to the fold!

I wanted to make something very graphic, but simple to piece, as I have found that my new quilters fall into the hand applique camp (less chance to get run away with by the sewing machine), or machine piercers camp ( I need fast progress!). So this is my fast progress for modern results kit! It will be available on etsy and folksy later this week when my final piece of backing arrives for the kits.

I have been so frustrated by the weather in trying to get a great shot for the front of the box. It has been so grey and rainy, and so getting a break in the clouds and some decent light has been a month long challenge! As Baby Button is not the worlds best photographic assistant yet, it's a whole family weekend kind of a job, and it takes so long to get three kids under 6 out the door in the winter that any sunny days have long clouded over by the time we make it out!


Finally we got lucky on a trip to the Hambledon Valley, which is between the Chilterns and the Thames, and it a beautiful spot where time seems to stand still, but just 25 miles from London. There are about 4 or 5 picture postcard villages nestled in rolling hills. It's where they film the Vicar of Dibley and I think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was also filmed here as well as all sorts of period dramas looking for a lovely brick and flint background. Go visit it if you ever get the chance and take a walk along the river, you may feel the need for a parasol!
The picture is taken on the churchyard wall of this lovely church at Fingest. The Norman tower is from the 12th century. A fittingly old background for this modern quilt. I hope you like it.

This is a pic from their website, take a stroll around the villages in the Hambledon Valley and their churches and their history here.


No comments:

Post a Comment