Thursday 19 November 2009

Autumn Leaves Quilt Blowing in the Wind


I finished the top of my Autumn Leaves quilt, which is just as well as there are not many leaves left on the trees about here with this wind blowing. Thus it was very hard to get a shot of all of it in one go, too gusty! Don't have any backing for it yet, but don't want to loose the momentum.

It started life as a very promising pile of autumn loveliness back at the start of October.

We collected a selection of different shaped leaves, scanned them, drew around the fuzzy edges to make a hand applique friendly shape, traced them onto freezer paper and then hand appliqued the shapes into a wreath shape. This image from my pin board was the original inspiration.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Now I want to back it in something warm and cosy and will hand quilt it in perle cotton, with a wool wadding for maximum chunky cosiness. I love having seasonal things to bring out each year to mark the seasons turn. I think this will live on the leather chair in front of the fire when it's all finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment